An authentic Thai salad, Som Tam is a flavourful dish which is an absolute delight to the taste buds. Also known as Green Papaya Salad, the ingredients of this traditional Thai salad are first crushed in a pestle and mortar and then added in the dish which makes it flavourful and delicious. This is an easy-to-make salad recipe which will refresh you and will certainly please your taste buds. The ingredients used to prepare this salad are raw papaya, Bird’s eye chillies, garlic, tomatoes, lime juice, dark soy, peanuts and green beans. This salad recipe can be enjoyed by people of all age groups. It is loaded with sweet, sour and spicy flavours and will make you fall in love with Thai cuisine. You can serve it at kitty parties, buffets and potlucks and earn compliments from your guests for your amazing culinary skills. So, what are you waiting for Go ahead and try this salad now and relish it with your loved ones. If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like Raw Papaya Salad, Thai Salad and Asian Salad.
Ingredients of Som Tam
- 20 gm green papaya
- 50 gm green beans
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 30 gm carrot
- 20 gm roasted peanuts
- 2 red chilli
- 2 tablespoon Thai soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
How to make Som Tam
- Step 1 Wash and shred papaya. The main ingredient of this salad recipe is raw or green papaya. So first of all you need to wash the papaya properly and then peel and shred it. Next shred it and set aside. Peel some carrot and shred them too in another bowl.
- Step 2 Use pestle and mortar As briefed in the introduction this recipe uses pestle and mortar you need to keep it ready. Once papaya is shredded, the next step is to pound the green beans first. Next, add peeled garlic cloves in it crush them too! Now take them out and crush the roasted peanuts. Once done, take them out as well. Finally, crush red chillies as well and take them out too!
- Step 3 Prepare the Som Tam dressing To prepare the dressing, take a small bowl and combine Thai soya sauce, lime juice and palm sugar. Stir well and keep aside.
- Step 4 Toss all the ingredients and serve fresh Finally, in the pestle and mortar, add the shredded carrot and then papaya. Pound them for 1-2 minutes. Then, add the som tam dressing and mix well. Then, add the crushed red chillies and crushed peanuts (half). Mix well and then add the halved cherry tomatoes. Finally, add the remaining peanuts, crushed cloves and then the pounded beans. Toss well and serve fresh.
Green Papaya Salad Recipe
Green Papaya Salad is a Continental recipe which is made with raw papaya, raw mango, cherry tomatoes, roasted peanuts and carrots. This is an easy-to-make salad recipe which is high on fiber and is a perfect dish for brunch and summers. To beat the summer heat, you can prepare this delicious appetizer recipe for kitty parties and game nights. Try this lip-smacking salad recipe for your loved ones with toasted bread or lime wedges. Enjoy!
Ingredients of Green Papaya Salad
- 1 green papaya
- 2 carrot
- 1 raw mango
- 3 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon powdered jaggery
- 1 red chilli
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoon spring onions
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
How to make Green Papaya Salad
- Step 1.Firstly wash carrot, cherry tomatoes and coriander leaves under running water and keep them aside. Now use a shredder and shred the raw papayas, raw mango and carrots. Keep them aside in separate bowls. Mince garlic clove using a mincer.
- Step 2.Next, place roasted peanuts, spring onion and coriander leaves over a chopping board and chop them. Also, the cherry tomatoes into halves. Now, take a large bowl and add shredded papayas, mango, carrots in the bowl.
- Step 3.Now, to prepare the dressing for salad, pour lemon juice, virgin olive oil, powdered jaggery, minced garlic and red chilli into the same bowl and mix them all. Garnish the salad with cherry tomatoes, coriander leaves, spring onions, roasted peanuts and sesame seeds. Enjoy!